Monday, May 17, 2010

Piano Surgery

May 2010 020

Well, thanks to the suggestions of a couple friends all hope is not quite lost. Someone suggested taking the keyboard off and I couldn’t figure it out but we did get the cabinet off last night which opened it up for receiving more air. By morning some of the keys showed some improvement so I was beginning to feel hopeful.

May 2010 010

Thankfully we have a piano technician in the family. He suggested taking the keys out to dry out. I was a little leery of that because the wood looked like it was splintering. I didn’t want to make it worse.

May 2010 012 May 2010 013

But I braved up and figured the piano is already ruined if it doesn’t dry out so I might as well try.

It was like pulling teeth. Really loose teeth. (har-har!) Nothing to it in fact, taking the keys out.

May 2010 029 May 2010 026

My piano is now a toothless wonder. Hopefully it heals.

May 2010 021

This is really interesting to me. I wonder if I can become a piano technician? That might be something I’d really enjoy. :)

Oh, I also found that key #4 had a date on it. I am assuming that is the date of the piano. December 1947. I think it’s 47.  There was a peg screwed through the 4 so all I could see was the stem. I don’t think the piano is as old as 1917 so that’s the next logical number. It is pretty old.

1 comment: