Sunday, May 16, 2010

Note to self – Never put a piano under upstairs plumbing!

I am so sad right now. I think we’ve lost our piano. The bathtub pipes in the upstairs bathroom have sprung a leak (which is another whole frustrating issue) and it leaked onto the piano. The keyboard had been open and the water dripped into the keys. The keys are wooden and what happens to wood when it gets wet? It swells! So now 22 or 23 of the keys on my piano won’t play and they stick. Plus it sounds like the strings are damaged too. I don’t know that there is any chance that the piano will be playable again once it dries out. I doubt it.

I am so sad. :(

My piano was old and not the prettiest as it’s finish was peeling and the legs were missing their wheels and sitting on bricks. But it is my first piano and one both Gabby and I have been learning on for the past year. Longer even for me as I got it about the time I got a call to play for primary about three (?) years ago. We’ve been though a lot that piano and I.

I knew one day, in the not too distant future I would have to replace it. The tone wasn’t great. The strings vibrated too much, at least one of the foot pedals wasn’t working. And I knew that as Gabby and I got better, we would want a better piano. This was already beginning to be true for us.

I just figured we’d have some time to start saving for one so we could buy a nice one – used of course – but nice and in excellent condition.

Gabby is doing so well with her piano lessons. I am really enjoying  mine and had goals to start learning the hymns this summer while I’m on break from my regular lessons. Now we don’t have a piano to play.

We’ve also got recitals this weekend. Great timing. :(

I’m sad to lose this piano. I can’t really afford to buy one right now. We’ve got leaky pipes to fix after all, among many other things that our funds are earmarked for. How am I going to get another piano?

Ideas? Craigslist is out. I can’t see buying a good piano from craigslist.

In the meantime, I guess we’ll be headed to the church this week to practice for our recitals.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness! So sad! I hope you can resolve both the pipes and the piano issue as painlessly as possible!

    ReplyDelete