Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Help! I’ve got chores!

 

Lately I have not been able to keep the house clean like I’d like to. It is always so cluttered. I usually have some time to clean on Mondays and Fridays because Samantha doesn’t have preschool but Tuesdays through Thursdays I just can’t seem to get the work done so the house gets so cluttered to the point that I have a hard time catching up so things are just piling!

I need help.

Now, Alan does do quite a bit to help out. He mainly does the laundry on Saturdays and that is a big thing. Plus he gets the kids breakfast every morning and gets Gabby off to school so I can exercise or sleep in, whichever way my mood takes me. And he does the dinner dishes and puts food away after dinner. Those are big helps but I am needing more help. Piano, taking the kids to their various activities, running errands, the Easter Egg Hunt, my callings, buying groceries and feeding my family, potty training, cleaning up after kids, plus other various chores I do are all piling up and stressing me out. I have really been feeling the need to simplify.

Time to enlist the family.

Today I had a thought that I need to re-install morning chores. I had a chore cup that seemed to work fine when it was being used. Alan and the kids were to draw a chore out of the cup each morning and do it. The great thing about it was there were chores in the cup that don’t get done ever and now every once in a while they were – like wiping down messy walls and cleaning windows. But for some reason we quit using it and Alan and the kids quit doing morning chores.

Well, a truly amazing thing happened a couple weeks ago. I’d left a list of things that I needed my family to get done in the morning before work and school and by golly, they did it. It made that day so much easier. Now, why didn’t I think of doing this every day?

I think I’m going to keep the chore cup for when we take extra time for cleaning, but to help Alan and the kids know what is needed from them each morning I made a list of chores by the day. They are to complete the morning’s chore as best they can in the time that they have. (And by best, I mean, mommy best. Not, throw this over there out of sight best!)

Alan says he thinks they can spend a half hour doing chores in the morning. I am amazed actually. To think that if they spent 30 minutes cleaning consistently each morning the house will be in such better shape! And things will be simpler for me. Which will let me do other needful things around here. That is assuming I can get myself organized to do them. (A whole different can of worms!)

So this is their list. Lets see if they can get them done. It’s a pretty simple list. If they are doing well, maybe I can ask them do a little bit more just to make my life a little bit easier.

Morning Chores

For Daddy and kids to work on together

Do as much as time allows but do try to finish

Monday – Clean, sweep and vacuum den, if time allows wipe up spills and messes on surfaces.

Tuesday – Clean out the kitty litters and fill food and water dishes –and- Clean the living room - vacuum cleaner and broom ready (mommy will sweep and vacuum).

Wednesday – Declutter the kitchen – countertops, table, bench, floor and wipe down spills and messes on the surfaces.

Thursday – fill cat food and water dishes -and-

Clean the yellow room – pillows and bed neat and floor broom ready, check under bed.

Friday – Clean the girl’s bedroom and hallway – vacuum ready.

Saturday – fill cat food and water dishes –and- Clean out bins.

These are all before breakfast chores. Plus the kids have their own little chores like putting their dirty clothes in the hamper, brushing their teeth and hair, putting away the toys they check out. Basic stuff that they should already know how to do.

I hope this works! It’ll make for a less stressed mommy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if I can start getting Lilly's help with chores yet. You should read "The Creation Plan A Seven Day Approach to Guilt Free Homemaking" by Betty Meyers. It's not a long book, I read it all in a few hours and it really empowered me to feel like housekeeping is possible. It has great ideas on keeping things organized. It's out of print, but I think you can still find it on Amazon.com. Good luck with your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into it.
    I know getting the little ones to help with chores has been hard for me but I have found they are often very willing to help. Even when the help is not help at all! :) One of the best things I did to take care of our coats and shoes all over the place was to put a coat hanger on the wall by the front door that was low enough for my kids to reach. So even my 2-year-old Katherine learned to hang up her coat when she came in and the shoes always go by the door. We're still working on that one but it's been better. Little things add up though. Try some different things and see what she responds to. I know Samantha loves to help me wipe down walls and windows. Or try teaching her to put her toys in a basket at the end of the day. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete