Gabby’s school recently had a Unity Day celebration and the kids were asked to bring in food to share from their heritage. Having some Ukrainian blood in us I knew immediately what she would bring. Chrustyky!! My mom’s maternal great-grandparents came here from the Ukraine and one of the only things from that heritage that we still have is my great-great-grandmother’s recipe.
I remember my mom making it when I was young but I had yet to make it for my own family. This was my chance. They are really yummy. You can’t make them often because they are deep fried but once in a while they are a treat.
Chrustyky
Brought from the Ukraine from my great-great grandmother Anna Chadaj (Had-aye)
4 c. sifted flour 1 c. sour cream
2T sugar 2T butter
1/4 t. salt 1 or 2 t vanilla
6 egg yolks powdered sugar
Combine dry ingredients. Beat the egg yolks until pale and bubbly. Add yolks and the rest of the ingredients to the flour. Mix well, knead well. Divide it into pieces and then…
roll out paper thin:
Cut into diamond shapes:
And put a slit into the middle going length-wise:
Fold one of the ends through to make this cute little shape:
Deep fry them until they are a golden brown.
Set out on a paper towel to drain the oil off.
And sift powdered sugar over the top.
They are yummy! Joseph can really attest to that. He is a Chrustyky monster! He loves it!
Other web sites say you can also make them savory – without the powdered sugar (and I imagine the vanilla) and have them with soup, like a Borscht.
I’ve also seen the recipe substitute almond flavoring instead of the vanilla. And I think even different regions cut and fold theirs differently too.
Now, maybe I better go look into that heritage some more and see what other treasures there are…




No comments:
Post a Comment