I went to a really hard but really fun training walk on the 3rd of July. It was at Valley Forge and was an 8 miler. I had not walked that far yet so I was pretty excited about it. I also knew it was hilly so I was happy about the extra calories it would burn. I had no idea how hilly it was though! If you’ve ever walked Valley Forge you know what I mean! Whew!
But I met some great ladies. One woman had recently finished treatment for breast cancer. I knew right away from her short haircut to the compression sleeves she was wearing. She talked to us a little bit about it and got our stories too. There was another young woman there about my age who had breast cancer earlier in her life but they caught it early on. Another woman had it in her family but was afraid to be tested for the gene. Another woman had a bout with melanoma and is doing the 3-Day because finding a cure for breast cancer will also be a huge jump for other cancers as well. Lots of talking and walking and we had a good time.
There were a lot of deer there. They must be protected because they aren’t afraid of the people. They won’t come up to you but they don’t mind grazing in the fields right next to the trail as you walk by. Even when they have a baby with them.
It was also the 4th of July weekend and I love the 4th of July. I was happy to have this thing to do at this particular place. It felt like an honor to walk the hills where there was so much history.
The walk was great and I’ll definitely try to go to at least one more at Valley Forge before the 3-Day in October.




There is something so bonding about walking with other women. Don't you think? I'm glad you had a good time! When is your 3-day walk? Is it this fall? Happy Training :).
ReplyDelete